Friday, December 18, 2009

2005 Earthquake Cabernet Sauvignon


Specs:

2005 Earthquake Cabernet Sauvignon

Lodi, California

15 % Alcohol

100% Cabernet Sauvignon

http://www.lodivineyards.com

$25.00

Notes:


Cabernet Sauvignon is usually not my favorite varietal however I have been hearing great things about this winery so I figured I would experiment a little bit. For bold reds such as this I would definitely suggest you let this breathe for at least ten minutes prior to opening the bottle. Immediately after opening the bottle I was a little worried this was the wrong selection. I was definitely mistaken after it had some time to rest in my decanter. This wine is beautiful in the glass with ruby red and dark garnet hues. The aroma of this cab is quite strong and bold which contradicts its smooth jammy flavor. The nose smells almost candy like with some serious oak scents.

The first sips takes you through fruit, to oak to smoke almost instantaneously. The wine has a fleshy quality extremely soft but at the same time very flavorful. It's sugar seems almost perfectly balanced. Flavors of raspberry, cherry, strawberry jam, vanilla, coffee and a subtle oaky finish. All the good stuff... This Cabernet is light enough to pair with many dishes. I would suggest a pork tenderloin or a rustic seasonal dish or a fruity dessert such as strawberry shortcake. To conclude this wine has definitely become a new staple in my household; well balanced, soft and fruit forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment