Saturday, February 13, 2010

2006 Domaine Ecard Savigny Les Beaune 1er Cru "Les Serpentieres"


Specs:

2006 Domaine Ecard Savigny Les Beaune 1er Cru "Les Serpentieres"

Burgundy

France

13% Alcohol

100% Pinot Noir


$39.99

Notes:

I'm am usually a faithful California Pinot lover however, a new friend argued that nothing compares to a French Burgundy. After arguing our top points we came to the "to each their own" conclusion. This little debate compelled me to go out and buy only my 3rd or 4th Burgundy as a way of further proving my point. Much to my dismay when tasting this wine I had to admit...Maybe he had something here.

In the glass the wine is medium in intensity with a rich deep garnet color. The aromas are some of the things you would expect from a Pinot Noir; notes of black cherry, strawberry, currant, hints of oak. What I wasn't expecting was the mineral smell; rust and metal were definitely present but not in a bad way. This out of the ordinary scent helped to cut the intense fruit and oak smell you would anticipate. It was a different quality that definitely let me know this was no New World Pinot.

On the palate the wine is smooth and fruity with mineral flavors on the finish. All the aromas previously found are in the taste of this wine, yet richer and more refined. Ripe black cherry, currant and rust are the main flavor components. The finish is medium in length and is quite enjoyable with hints of earth and minerality.

This well balanced wine can be paired well with many meals because of its mellow fruity flavors. Lean meats, light pasta dishes and desserts like strawberry short cakes would be my first instinct. This wine is hard to find online however I was able to pick up this beautiful french offering at my local BevMo.

No comments:

Post a Comment